Annons:
Tag:Ā other-mobile-photo-related
Read 1483 times
Niklas
2019-08-28 12:29

How many photos do you have in your phone?

Image 1. Click to open in original size.

When storage space in phones was more expensive, I used to copy older photos to a computer and delete them from the iPhone photo album. Now that phone storage is more affordable; I copied all of them back again. I also copied many of my private photos taken with standard digital cameras to the phone. I have 120,000 photos from the end of the 90s and until now available in my phone photo library. Everything from the kids growing up to celebrations, vacations, and house renovation projects. I also have over 4,000 videos. šŸ™‚

Best regards, Niklas šŸŽˆ

Annons:
[Joab]
2019-08-28 14:11

Are the photos located in iCloud or are they stored in the memory of your iPhone? How much memory does your photo collection occupy?

Evelina
2019-08-28 14:46

Too many šŸ˜†

jordan
2019-08-28 22:33

Wow! I used to transfer my images to my computer but have stopped for no real reason at all. Maybe I just don't take too many photos, but I have 1,300 in my album currently.

Niklas
2019-08-29 11:10

#1: They are all stored in full size in iCloud. On my devices, I have chosen optimized storage, which means lower-resolution copies are shown until I decide to do something with them. Then full resolution images are downloaded. My iCloud photo library occupies 1 TB. #3: Have you at least activated iCloud backups so you don't risk losing them if your phone gets wrecked?

[Joab]
2019-08-29 11:30

Have you seen any performance problems related to the very large photo collection? For example, in the use case where you are using like Instagram and is going to pick an image from the very large photo collection? I have read that some photo apps are trying to index / read meta data of the whole photo collection, and that will take forever when you have a large photo collection.

Niklas
2019-08-29 13:28

It takes longer to do photo related things with this many photos. So far it has been worth it though. I haven't used Instagram with it yet.

Annons:
[Joab]
2019-08-29 14:36

Very interesting. As of now, I keep my very large photo collection at Google Photos. I let them compress the photos, instead of paying for the storage. The originals are kept safe in other places. Google Photos does not provide face recognition for Swedish users. But it let me search my photo collections for things like "cats", "buses" and so on. Pretty cool. But the Google services have their drawbacks as we all know.

jordan
2019-08-29 22:43

#4 Of course! I was skeptical at first as to whether getting it would be worth it, but I have found it very useful!

#5 I have noticed it in the past, but with songs stored on the phone. It would make the menus lag quite a lot and affect the rest of the phone. I switched to a premium Spotify membership soon after.

[Joab]
2019-08-30 08:29

#8 Ok! It somewhat confirms my impression that software companies are often prone to not test the corner cases very much, where very huge collections of pictures, music or whatever is one such example.

Niklas
2019-08-30 13:51

I read somewhere that Photos has been built to handle 1 million photos. Iā€™m not sure what it means in practice.

Scroll to top
Annons:
Ā